Mt. Olive Missionary Baptist Church

The Mt. Olive Missionary Baptist Church of Scurry, Texas is one of the oldest continuously active churches in Kaufman County. The Church, formally organized in 1860, was the first church to be organized in the Scurry vicinity.

In 1861, the church joined the Elm Fork Association of United Baptist during the 13th Annual Session. Later, in 1870, as additional Baptist churches had been organized in the surrounding counties of Dallas, Hunt and Collin, representatives from eleven Churches met on “Saturday before the third Lord’s Day in November 1870″ for the purpose of establishing a new association named “The East Fork Baptist Association”. The Churches met with the Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church of Collin County. The eleven Churches were Salem, New Hope, Mt. Pleas- ant, Mt. Olive, College Mound, Bethlehem of Collin County, Bethlehem of Kaufman County, Greenville, Farmersville, Hopewell, and Shady Grove. Today, the Mt. Olive Baptist Church is the only remaining charter member of this association.

With the coming of the railroad in 1880′s, a new thriving settlement named Sand Prairie immediately sprang up around the railroad. The name was soon changed from Sand Prairie to Scurry in honor of Scurry Dean who had been killed in the Civil War. As this town grew, the Church was moved in 1896, to the present location. A combination Church building and school was located on’ property donated by Dave and Susan Ford. In addition to serving as a school, this community church building was shared by the Baptist, Methodist and Church of Christ, with services being rotated each Sunday for the various congregations, and most com- monly shared by all.

This mode of worship continued until 1911, when the Methodist Church built their own church building. Fire destroyed the community church and school in 1917. Following this event, the Church of Christ moved to another location and the school was moved to the site located at the “top of the hill”. The Baptist church and the Masonic Lodge erected a two-story structure on the same location in 1918. The Baptista occupied the lower story and the Masonic Lodge, the upper story. A tabernacle was also erected on this location and was used by the various churches mainly for summer revivals. With the advent of air-conditioning, this structure was no longer needed and was torn down in the late 1940′s. Modern convenience, such as gas for heating, was added in 1930, electric lights in 1938, air conditioning in 1948. In 1968 the present brick facility was built and the two- story building was moved to the Scurry- Rosser High School, and is currently being used as an educational building. In 1975, a separate education and fellowship hall facil- ity was added. Known pastors from available records are: E. S. Colthorp, A. M. K. Sowell, T. M. Miller, A. M. K. Sowell, ? Kingsbury, Moses Wyatt, W. S. Wilson, P. W. Turner, W. M. Pardue, James Vance, L. Rattan, W. D. Hammack, H. P. Tyra, C. J. Washman, W. M. Kalton, Jerry Archer, Oscar Richardson, 0. P. Parker, Jerry Archer, Steve Harwell, J. C. Matthews, W. 0. Patterson, W. A. Watson, C. B. Stanley, 0. L. McCollum, Steve Harwell, Silas Dicker- son, 0. L. McCollum, L. L. Brown, James Upchurch, Fred Heath, John Ridley, Lee D. Brown, Fred Heath, D. C. Dunson, Lee D. Brown and Joe Rosenquist.

Comments are closed.